• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Third Party Press Release?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jopem190

I live in Texas. I run a fairly large news website, and I did an interview with the CEO of a corporation. We're on very friendly terms, I'm giving 100% positive press, however, I'm curious if there is any issue with citing another company in your own press release. Like if I issued a press release about my company's interview with their company. Basically it's going to boost my own company to issue a press release that is mostly about their company (the release is about my interview of their company). Since it is mostly about them, is it iffy territory? Nothing is negative so it's not going to be slanderous but I'm just curious if there are any issues with this type of thing.

Last edited:

quincy

If you interviewed a CEO of a corporation, I do not see how you could issue a press release about this interview without mentioning the name of the corporation.

The only problem I can possibly see is if you use this corporation's name to advertise your site or if the wording of your release falsely implies this corporation supports or endorses your website.

If you are worried about the content of your release, have the attorney for your large news website review it prior to release.

Last edited:

jopem190

Thanks for the reply. I was already given an okay to release the interview on my own website, and even explained that I do publicize my stories and they were all positive.

I *will* be using their name, but barely my own. As a matter of fact, it's basically 99% about them. The only thing is at the beginning it states "In an interview with [my company],". That's it. Nothing else about my company. The rest goes on to report their statistics, company, and the quotes they gave me, all in a very positive light. I'm basically press releasing their good news and all I get out of it is that "in an interview with [my company name]". I know I'm probably over-reacting and the other company will only be ecstatic at the positive press and sales pouring in, but you know the legal world, have to cover my own rear.

I've seen various companies publicize partnerships, and other things using the other companies' name, just have never seen a fellow news company press releasing an interview before like I am going to. I'm not *that* big, I'm high-traffic, but I can't afford my own lawyer and am going to probably go ahead with the release regardless and see what happens, unless someone here says something. :D

jopem190

Actually now that I think about it, isn't that what all media companies do? They send out press releases when they interview people (like a President, Senator, etc.) all the time. :eek:

Silly me. There's nothing wrong with what I'm describing whatsoever is there? I don't know why I thought there mighta been some copyright or libel or whatever issue. If I was insulting them, it'd be a problem, or if I was arbitrarily making it look like they endorse me, right?

But "In an interview with [my company]" clearly isn't such? Right?

quincy

It sounds to me like you are on safe legal footing with your press release.

You are very wise to be cautious about what you publish, by the way. Too many people will publish without a thought to legal issues (until, of course, they are sued ;)).

If you don't have a "Stylebook" on hand already to use as a reference, you may want to consider getting one. The Associated Press Stylebook (the most widely used) and the UPI Stylebook can be picked up at most bookstores or are available for reading online (most large newspaper groups have their own). Most stylebook editions will have a section on media law, which provides a brief overview of the areas of law that are of greatest concern to writers and publishers.

Good luck with your news site, jopem190. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">