• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trademark Breach?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NesianStyle

I just received a registered letter today from findasite.com (I'm in NZ) stating that I am infringing on their trademark. They say the have a federally registered trademark on LAWYERS-ON-LINE and I have a site which I created 4 years ago called (state)-Lawyers-Online.com, they say it is a confusingly similar derivation of Lawyers-On-Line.

They say I should cease and desist using this domain and transfer it to them immediately.

Now this site means nothing to me as I built it 4 years ago and just left it basically but I hate the thought that I'm just being bullied around.

Now, if I'm correct they are saying that anyone who uses any state in the US followed by Lawyers-Online is in breach of trademark???

They have attached a photocopy of a US Patent and Trademark office form with the principal register of Lawyers-On-Line and they have also CC a copy to usulaw.com

I'm thinking it's legit but thought I would check here to see if anyone has been in a similar circumstance.

The Occultist

If anybody were to attempt to bring legal action against you, they would need to do so in the NZ court system using NZ law, therefore you need advice regarding the laws of NZ, which means that no, we cannot really help you other than to advise that you find an attorney local to your area that is versed in this area of law.

NesianStyle

If anybody were to attempt to bring legal action against you, they would need to do so in the NZ court system using NZ law, therefore you need advice regarding the laws of NZ, which means that no, we cannot really help you other than to advise that you find an attorney local to your area that is versed in this area of law.
Thanks for the help, I wasn't aware that was the case.

Seems awfully weird how you can trademark such a broad phrase as "lawyers-on-line"

Your help is much appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">