• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trademark in a Business advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vingaling

I plan to trademark my company name and logo and my company plans to release a line of product under a different brand name, will I have to register another trade mark for this new line of product?

Thanks

FlyingRon

Understand you are talking two things here. A trademark is a name you use in commerce. You get rights to it by using it in a way that is distinctive, non-descriptive, and not in conflict with others. Registration is something you can do to marks you are using (or will state intent to use) that will give you some additional options when it comes to enforcing your mark.

Company names can be, but are not necessarily, trademarks. A famous example is the Subway (which is a registered trademark) sandwich chain which is owned by Doctor's Associates (not a trademark).

Trademarks are typically adjectives. It's a SUBWAY restauraant. You can use any number of these to describe your products if you want protection Creating trademarks just takes some creativity of your part and using it in commerce. You can declare that you intend this as your brand by using the ™ symbol or explicitly saying X is my Trademark. Then you can decide if you want to go to the expense of registering the name.

You don't need a trademark on each product if you don't want. Many product names are descriptive. While "Kraft" has a trademark on "Plantars" they don't trademark (and are not eligible to) trademark Peanuts, Cashews, Mixed Nuts, etc...

quincy

I plan to trademark my company name and logo and my company plans to release a line of product under a different brand name, will I have to register another trade mark for this new line of product?

Thanks
What is the name of your state, vingaling, or, if not in the U.S., what is the name of your country?

FlyingRon's information applies nicely to trademark law in the U.S. but there are significant differences in laws between countries.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">