• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trademark/copyright infringement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

himiko

No state.
I am thinking of publishing a book with a title with a generic name such as “Everything”; however, I have noticed that the word “everything” is also a trademarked name. In addition I refer to a board game in the book (Ouija board) and the fact that the game was used in a particular incident. Would these constitute any type of trademark or copyright infringement?
Thank you.

The Occultist

I do not know enough to be able to advise on generic words, but I can tell you referencing an object with a trademark is not infringing as long as you're saying they were simply using it as fact, and not making it look like the trademark holder is endorsing you in any way. For example, if the kid is drinking a Coke, then that is what he is doing, and is not infringement. (rereading what I just wrote, it's apparent I need to learn how to talk... Hope you can make sense of that :p

The Occultist

Also, keep in mind what what I said applies only to US law. I have absolutely no idea what it's like in Japan, and for all I know they'll kill for less.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">