• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trademark and Different Good and services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IvanJose

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Is it trademark infringement if I name my product La-Z-Bag and sell inflatable sleeping bags, a different products to LaZBoy that sell Home Furniture?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Is it trademark infringement if I name my product La-Z-Bag and sell inflatable sleeping bags, a different products to LaZBoy that sell Home Furniture?
It may be - but the real question is whether or not you have the time and ability to defend yourself when/if LaZBoy lets their legal team loose on you. I would suggest that you find a unique name for your product.

quincy

Trademark infringement centers on consumer confusion. If a consumer is likely to be confused as to the origin of a product or service by the use of the same or similar trademark, there is an equal likelihood that the new mark infringes on the old.

What a court looks at in an infringement suit is the strength of the senior user's mark - and, with La-Z-Boy the mark is a famous one making it a strong mark easily recognized by consumers. A court also looks at the similarity of the marks. La-Z-Bag is substantially similar to La-Z-Boy. The similarity of the product or service being offered is another factor a court will look at. Inflatable sleeping bags are similar to products offered by La-Z-Boy. The court looks at the intent of the junior user in choosing the mark - and it seems likely that you would not have chosen La-Z-Bag if it were not to trade on the reputation of La-Z-Boy. The court also looks at evidence of actual confusion in the marketplace. If in use consumers have been confused between your mark and the La-Z-Boy mark, that is infringement.

Your use of the similar mark could also lead to a dilution suit if the quality of your bags is not of the same quality as La-Z-Boy products. Your use of the similar name on an inferior product would harm the reputation of La-Z-Boy.

Finally, as Zigner noted, if you attempt to use the name La-Z-Bag, you are undoubtedly facing a costly challenge to your use by a team of experienced attorneys from La-Z-Boy and you are likely to lose the challenge.

I recommend you choose a different name that is unique to your sleeping bags alone. You can review all facts personally with a trademark attorney in your area but I suspect you will hear the same thing you are hearing here.

Good luck with your new product.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">