• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trademark Infringement?

• Thread starter Boudoir Baskets
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Boudoir Baskets

What is the name of your state? CA

I hope someone can help me or direct me to someone that can help me with my situation.

I am the owner of a company called Boudoir Baskets. Due to an error with our web site domain registar, we were not informed that our domain www.boudoirbaskets.com would be expiring. Two weeks ago customers started calling trying to figure out why when they type in our URL a search engine pops up by a company called Ultimate Search Inc.

We found out the e-mail, who sold them the URL, and their phone number and it turns out they are located in Hong Kong. We have been exchanging e-mails with them and it seems they are wanting to make a profit on our error and want $300 US dollars before they will give it back to us. They say this is for administrative fees, but I've talked to the company that sold it to them (Melbourn IT) and they tell me that it couldn't have cost them more than $35. Anyhow, as we speak, this company is reaping the efforts of our marketing efforts and, so far, are not cooperative in contacting Melbourn IT to cancel their purchase of our domain.

I'm wondering what if anything can be done about this from a legal standpoint. We have a Certificate of Registration for the name Boudoir Baskets, but I'm wondering what can be done because these people are in Hong Kong?

Thank you for your immediate attention and help in this matter.

ALawyer

If it looks as if the error was yours and someone grabbed the expiring name, that's the cost of your error and be thankful it is just $300. Even if it was someone else's error, I'd suggest you pay the money first and seek justice later.

That's a lot cheaper than reprinting stationery, cards, etc, and a LOT cheaper than the filing fee with ICANN and hiring a lawyer. And if your own time is worth anything, it's cheaper than trying to right a wrong.

Then complain to the Federal Trade Commission.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">