• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trademark infringement question - Hypothetical example : lsatexam.com

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MDCB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Hello everyone:

I need your advice regarding a domain name. My small business helps professionals prepare for a board exam. For this example let us suppose it is the LSAT. LSAT is a registered trademark of the body that administers the exam. Is it illegal for me to register the domain name LSATexam.com ?

On the domain name LSATexam.com , can i offer products to help prepare for the LSAT exam ?

I'm in a similar situation, and i want to know how I can legally protect myself in such a situation. I greatly appreciate your help.
Awaiting your expert opinions.
Thank you

P.s. i don't own the domain name lsatexam.com, that is just an example to illustrate a point.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Hello everyone:

I need your advice regarding a domain name. My small business helps professionals prepare for a board exam. For this example let us suppose it is the LSAT. LSAT is a registered trademark of the body that administers the exam. Is it illegal for me to register the domain name LSATexam.com ?

On the domain name LSATexam.com , can i offer products to help prepare for the LSAT exam ?

I'm in a similar situation, and i want to know how I can legally protect myself in such a situation. I greatly appreciate your help.
Awaiting your expert opinions.
Thank you

P.s. i don't own the domain name lsatexam.com, that is just an example to illustrate a point.
To protect yourself from a potentially costly lawsuit, you either ask permission of the trademark holder to use a confusingly similar name for your domain name, or you come up with a different name.

Trademark law centers on consumer confusion. If a consumer sees your domain name and thinks it could be connected to, sponsored by or endorsed by the trademark holder, you will more than likely find yourself the recipient of a cease and desist letter. Also possible is a wresting away of your domain name, an injunction, and possibly a legal action taken against you.

There ARE domain names that use names similar to each other and they can peacefully co-exist. Peaceful coexistence generally will not occur when the domain names are used to direct consumer traffic to competing businesses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">