• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trademark name availability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

erva

So I've done the research through the USPTO Tess system and I see that the name "XXX" is taken. XXX (XXX.com) is a tea company that I own, and I wish to trademark the name (sooner than later for obvious reasons). However, the trademark owner's goods and services are as follows:

Goods and Services
IC 037. US 100 103 106. G & S: Maintenance of industrial plants in the field of nuclear technology, general overhaul and repair of components and parts in industrial plants in the field of nuclear technology
IC 039. US 100 105. G & S: Storage of components for the use in industrial plants in the field of nuclear technology

IC 040. US 100 103 106. G & S: Decontamination of components of industrial plants in the field of nuclear technology

IC 042. US 100 101. G & S: Technical testing and inspection of industrial plants in the field of nuclear technology, surveying of components for the use in industrial plants in the field of nuclear technology
My question is, if someone else is using the name XXX but it's in a completely field/industry then the name should still be available for trademarking (think "Delta" Airlines and "Delta" faucets".

Just looking for some validation. Thanks guys and gals!

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

So I've done the research through the USPTO Tess system and I see that the name XXX is taken. XXX (xxx.com) is a tea company that I own, and I wish to trademark the name (sooner than later for obvious reasons). However, the trademark owner's goods and services are as follows:

My question is, if someone else is using the name XXX but it's in a completely field/industry then the name should still be available for trademarking (think "Delta" Airlines and "Delta" faucets".

Just looking for some validation. Thanks guys and gals!
The name "XXX" appears to be registered by two other companies - and the name "Companhia das XXX" (with the word companhia disclaimed) is also federally registered. I see "Companhia das XXX" as being the company of most concern to you if you file for federal registration. That company, based in Brazil, is also in the business of marketing, among other items, China tea, flower tea, fruit tea ...

The name you have been operating your tea company under (XXX) is already your trademark - it is what identifies your company and distinguishes it from other companies. It does not appear to distinguish it from ALL other companies, however, which is what can complicate the federal registration of your mark. You could find your application denied or you could find opposition to your registration coming from the other companies using the name.

With all of that said, the answer to the question you asked is, yes, same names can be registered as trademarks - and the Delta Airlines/Delta faucets is a good example of that. There are many other examples. If no consumer confusion is likely to result from the dual use of a name, federal registration of both names is possible.

Although you did not say in your post how long you have been using the name XXX to identify your tea company, and that can make a difference (I haven't, as a note, visited your website yet and that might provide me with some missing information), I recommend you sit down with an IP attorney in your area for a personal review the facts - and I would do this prior to spending money to file an application for registration of the mark.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">