• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trademark, patent or copywrite?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mustangallie199

I live in Washington state. And I have a question as to weather or not I should Patent, Trademark or Copywrite a product i just came up with. I recently created something called Pipe Pockets. That are handmade, custom fitted pouches that I make for people to carry their pipes, glass, wood, ceramic, acrylic, etc. in. plus room for a lighter and a small amount of whatever they use the pipe to smoke.

Now, I don't think I should patent the product, because I have seen other pouches made specifically for pipes before. Mine is just a rendition of that.

What's different about the Pipe Pocket is that the customer would send me the measurements of their pipe (length and circumferance at the widest point) and what color they would like, and I would hand crochet a pocket specifically for that pipe. These pouces also provide good padding for travel, as well as room for a lighter and as I said, a small amount of tobacco or whatever they wish to smoke with the pipe.

I have had a lot of interest in my product from friends and people online that I have showed it too in various forums, all saying they would pay for me to make and send them a custom Pipe Pocket.

now, my question is, seeing as it is not truely my invention, Should I trademark or Copywrite it? I don't want someone stealing the name of my product.

FlyingRon

The word is CopyRIGHT, please!

You are right, your design appears to hardly be novel, a requirement for patents.

Copyright appears not to apply here.

You get trademark rights by using the name ("Pipe Pocket") in commerce. You can further protect that name by registering the mark. Information at USPTO.GOV.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">