• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trademark question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bolter42

What is the name of your state? Texas
Can a state name be trademarked?I have filed already for a trademark that was a historical
event for a state university,can the two be
together on a product on apparel?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Bolter42 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
Can a state name be trademarked?I have filed already for a trademark that was a historical
event for a state university,can the two be
together on a product on apparel?

My response:

I'm hoping that I've understood you correctly. Are you asking whether State names, by themselves, can be privately registered, and/or in conjunction with other words in the entire title/name of a product and/or service?

If that is a correct understanding, State names, by themselves, cannot be registered as a "trademark". State names belong to the people as government designations of various land masses and borders.

Now, State names in conjunction with other words can be "trademarked". For example, if you were selling cans of oil, you could certainly trademark the name "Texas Tea" as a brand name. It would be the combination of those words that would be a proper, registered, trademark. But, to merely use the word "Texas" and hope to enforce that word from use by anyone else, would be an unenforceable "trademark."

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">