• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trademark question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

daveb65

What is the name of your state? california
I just recently had a name trademarked and received a regestration number. I want to use the name as my internet domain name but the .com is taken by someone else. I already have the .net but would rather have the .com. Can I request them to give up the .com since I have a regesterd trademark with that name.
Thank you:confused:

HomeGuru

daveb65 said:
What is the name of your state? california
I just recently had a name trademarked and received a regestration number. I want to use the name as my internet domain name but the .com is taken by someone else. I already have the .net but would rather have the .com. Can I request them to give up the .com since I have a regesterd trademark with that name.
Thank you:confused:
**A: yes, you can request and they can say no.

D

daveb65

So, I do not have a legal claim to the domain name but if they use the mark in commerce I do?

T

tijaco-wv

daveb65 said:
So, I do not have a legal claim to the domain name but if they use the mark in commerce I do?
Did you made an research if their name is also trademarked ?

divgradcurl

Are they using the domain name for a website, or just sitting on the name? Even if they are just sitting on the name, the anticybersquatting laws probably won't be of any help to you unless they acquired the domain name AFTER you received your registered trademark.

Why don't you just contact them and offer to buy it from them?

D

daveb65

at this time it looks like they are just sitting on the name. i will consider making them an offer on the name, i just wanted to know what my options are. Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">