• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trademark Question.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SoapWytch

I'm in California.

I already own a registered trademark on my company name....have for 9 years.

Recently, I've had some problems with an infringer using part of the whole name to name their own company, and products they make, and claim it's not infringing because their use does not include the entire name that I have TM'd. The name I use has a hyphen in it---the main name and then after the hyphen is sort of a descriptive phrase about the main name.

I have customers contacting me saying they've seen this company and were confused as to whether they were somehow affiliated with me, or carrying "my products". To me, the confusion itself validates that it is infringement.

I say use of even part of the name for their same classification of goods company, or same classification of products *IS* still infringing.... Am I wrong? If so, can I shorten my TM name to better protect myself? And what is involved with that process at this point?

I know this would be easier to describe if I used the actual name to illustrate so you could see for yourself, but I don't really want to post it publicly here. Would reveal in a private e-mail though to a lawyer who could actually help/advise me.

Thanks for any help....

Last edited:

divgradcurl

Is your trademark a standard character mark, or is it a mark with design elements (a logo)?

Are the products that this other entity is selling fall within the class (or classes) of goods or services that your registration covers?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">