• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trademark Search - Who Does It?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

A Clever Co

I am going to have a lawyer fill out my Intent to Use Trademark application. Why should I also pay the lawyer to do a trademark search - since it is not guaranteed that the USPTO will accept my application even after my lawyer has done a search? What am I missing here?

Also, I searched the USPTO and found the same name I want to use has already been registered in the singular, i.e, "______ Smart". I want to use "______ Smarts" (in the plural).

My product is a novelty/stationery item and is not in the same trademark category as the company who already has the name "_____ Smart". Should I spend the $350 and see if the USPTO will accept the same name already registered - but in the plural? Should I change the name to "______ Smartz"?

Not feeling too Clever . . .

Thank you.
G. Palmer
A Clever Company
New York, NY

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">