• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transfer of Copyright

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alaska-Wolf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska

I have an autobiography being published for which I signed away the copyright to the editors of the book of short stories by various authors. The publishing company itself actually has the rights.

If someone recognizes themselves from the story and decides to sue for defamation or whatever, will it be me that can be held responsible for damages?

-Sleepless in AlaskaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

I have an autobiography being published for which I signed away the copyright to the editors of the book of short stories by various authors.
C'mon, an author should be able to write a more coherent sentence than that. Why did you sign away your rights to some editors of some other book and what relationship is that book to you?

If someone recognizes themselves from the story and decides to sue for defamation or whatever, will it be me that can be held responsible for damages?
Which story? Your autobiography or the book of short stories?

People can always sue. Your liability depends on what you wrote about them, how you did it, whether these people are public figures, etc...

Alaska-Wolf

C'mon, an author should be able to write a more coherent sentence than that. Why did you sign away your rights to some editors of some other book and what relationship is that book to you?

Which story?...

People can always sue. Your liability depends on what you wrote about them, how you did it, whether these people are public figures, etc...
"C'mon" is not a word, and in fact I was a classically-trained writer and editor of Standard English in a former job. If you were an author, you would know that no first draft is ever the last, unless one has no proof-reader, like me. I am not going for the Pulitzer in this thread.

As for the story, it is my own short, narrowly focused autobiography, not the other stories in the book of short stories.

Thank you for the reply!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">