• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Translation and copyright

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ninodbox

I am a professional translator. I'm thinking about opening a website where I will publish some if my works for free, mainly American songs translated into Italian. I will publish my versions under a Creative Commons license. Do I infringe any copyright law if I include the original text and does it make any difference if my website is affiliated with an ad program, like those provided by Google or Amazon? Would it be considered "fair usage" if my website was completely non-profit?

Thanks

N.D.

quincy

I am a professional translator. I'm thinking about opening a website where I will publish some if my works for free, mainly American songs translated into Italian. I will publish my versions under a Creative Commons license. Do I infringe any copyright law if I include the original text and does it make any difference if my website is affiliated with an ad program, like those provided by Google or Amazon? Would it be considered "fair usage" if my website was completely non-profit?

Thanks

N.D.
Translations of copyrighted works are considered derivatives of the original works and are, therefore, part of the exclusive rights owned by the copyright holder.

You would need permission from the copyright holder of the American songs to translate and publish these songs in Italian, whether the publications of these songs will include the original text or not, or be on a website with an ad program or a non-profit website.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">