• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to stick it to the publishers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pbeale24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

The cost of textbooks is oppressive. I don't understand why some new textbooks cost $175.

Can I make several copies (photocopies) of any given textbook and give them away for free?

The Occultist

Nope. That is copyright infringement, and I can guarantee that if you are caught doing this you will find yourself in the midst of a lawsuit which will most certainly cost quite a bit more than $175.

Some Random Guy

The cost of textbooks is oppressive. I don't understand why some new textbooks cost $175.
OK. Then get educated on why they cost so much. Colleges are for learning, not for wallowing in stupidity while learning how to steal. Lets assume we are dealing with a lengthy engineering text with a moderate sized printing

Skilled Engineering Author $70,000 per year.
Technically literate engineering proofreaders $50,000 per year
Publishing Editor $60,000 per year
Grammar and spelling proofreaders $40,000 per year.
Cost to typeset, print and bind 500 page textbook = $30.
Number of copies printed = 6,000
Shipping costs $2
Publisher markup (profit, overhead, marketing costs) = 50%
Bookstore markup (profit, overhead) = 50%

Content creation costs = Author * 3 years + Eng Proofreader * 1/2 year + Editor * 1/4 year + Proofreader * 6 mos = 210,000 + 25,000 + 15,000 + 20,000 = 200,000

Sales price = ((((270,000/6,000) + 30 )* 1.5 )+ 2) * 1.5 = $171

pbeale24

Publisher markup (profit, overhead, marketing costs) = 50%
Bookstore markup (profit, overhead) = 50%

You are incorrect about the bookstore markup. I became curious because kids kept coming into my mothers bookstore asking if they could get a break on the markup. She would go online and show them how much she paid the publisher. There is really no room for a markup at all. Perhaps the University bookstores have a deal worked out with the publishers, because independent bookstores sure don't.

The Occultist

Perhaps the University bookstores have a deal worked out with the publishers, because independent bookstores sure don't.
Your hypothesis is accurate. The "deal" that is worked out is called Bulk. University bookstores (or, any bookstore that is solely sells textbooks) is going to order so many that they will get a "bulk" discount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">