• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TV Show copywrite

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seinfeld123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I am thinking about starting a website and possibly business off a character reference from seinfeld. For example would I have copywrite/trademark problems starting a website Welcome to the Frontpage or a business art vandalay architechture. This is not my business but I am thinking of a similar spoof off a seinfeld character/joke (but one that was only referenced in one episode, 1-2 times).

Thanks. Also if I start my website Welcome to the Frontpage can someone in turn copywrite the name and sue me for my website domain? Would it be wise to get a copywrite on the name for the business as well?

Thanks!!!

FlyingRon

The word is copyRIGHT. You can not copyright a name (domain, business or otherwise). Your biggest issues is whether there are trade/service mark issues you'd be infringing upon (sounds a bit unlikely here for just the name, but mention Seinfeld or some of the other names in the show and you could be in trouble). The copyright issue is whether you can avoid drawing in any of ths shtick from the episodes which would be infringing.

cyjeff

I will tell you that the Seinfeld people have been notoriously diligent in protecting their copyright.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">