• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

University-related merchandise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dryrock

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

I make hand beaded jewelry. I would like to start creating and selling my version of "spirit bracelets" that are university and high-school related. I understand college merchandising licensing laws and I don't plan to use any univeristy or high school trademarks.

My bracelets will have beads with letters on them that spell out acronyms for the schools....for example "WHS", "UNL" or "ISU". The bracelets will include beads in the school's "colors".

Is this something I can do since it doesn't use a trademark, just a combination of letters? Or will they come after me, shut me down, or require me to license the product? I know that others are selling similar products, but I know just because they are doing it doesn't mean it's legal.

Christy

racer72

Some institutions of higher learning protect their property rights with with boundless zeal. Anything that could be construed and a copyright infringement will have their legal department scrambling. If the college has a law school, they use cases such as these for training. The best method is to contact each college's legal department and they can provide a detailed listing of what they consider to be covered under their copyrights. And many consider it infringement if you make any kind of money and they don't get any of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">