• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US Trademark Law - Extent of coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

UKDeveloper

What is the name of your state? UK

Hi
I'm a UK based web developer. I recently had a letter from a US company based in California claiming that they had registered their trading name as a US trademark and that my client was infringing upon that trademark by using the .co.uk version of that name. The .co.uk site is totally unrelated to the business operated by the US company.

Does US trademark law prohibit people in other countries from using names registered as US trademarks? I'm positive it doesn't, but I'd appreciate confirmation. Is there a single web page I can point them to that says "hey, your trademark is only valid in the USA"? Maybe something I can quote to them?

Thanks in advance.

racer72

The problem is your website crosses all borders and oceans. It is available in the US and that make your site applicable to US laws. But as long as the site does not do any business what so ever in the US, there is nothing legally they can do to you. The worse that will happen is the company that sold you the site URL may shut you down if they receive a complaint. Most NIC companies are US based and are subject to US laws. You should check with the company that sold you the URL to see what their position is.

U

UKDeveloper

Thanks racer, I hope you're right! The UK site in question does not do any business in the US. It's not even a business site.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">