• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Use brand name in a sentence for shirts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Teec

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Outside USA, Netherlands

Hi,

I know its illegal to use a brand name but what if i print a sentence on a shirt, inluding the word "Moschino". It's not that I want it to look like a Moschino t-shirt.

my second question is: can I use the word "Vogue" on a cap or shirt? I mean Vogue as in Vogueing, not the magazine.

Im asking this because I'm going to sell these shirts and I dont want to get in any trouble.

Thanks.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Outside USA, Netherlands

Hi,

I know its illegal to use a brand name but what if i print a sentence on a shirt, inluding the word "Moschino". It's not that I want it to look like a Moschino t-shirt.

my second question is: can I use the word "Vogue" on a cap or shirt? I mean Vogue as in Vogueing, not the magazine.

Im asking this because I'm going to sell these shirts and I dont want to get in any trouble.

Thanks.
Moschino is a recognized, and famous, brand name. If you try to use this word in a tee-shirt design, you are likely to be faced with an infringement notice and the possible seizure and destruction of your goods.

Vogue is a little trickier in that the word "vogue" can be used by anyone. It is how you use the word (its design and its affect on consumers) that can be an issue. If Vogue believes you are infringing on their mark, you can, like with Moschino, face an infringement action.

You should have your designs reviewed by an IP attorney in the Netherlands, to determine better if your shirt designs can be seen as infringing on the rights held by others. I believe you risk a cease and desist notice, possibly an injunction, possibly a seizure of your goods, and possibly an infringement suit, if you go ahead with your plans to market clothing with these trademarks.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">