• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Use brand names in book?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

putitthere

What is the name of your state?NC
Can I use trademarked brand names in a novel without permission, such as, "He grabbed a can of Coke off the shelf"? Are there any particular restrictions that limit how I use the brand name?

divgradcurl

putitthere said:
What is the name of your state?NC
Can I use trademarked brand names in a novel without permission, such as, "He grabbed a can of Coke off the shelf"? Are there any particular restrictions that limit how I use the brand name?
If you are using the trademark to descride the product, like "he grabbed a can of Coke," that's okay. Any use of a trademark that implies that the mark owner endorses or is otrherwise involved in your book is not okay, without permission.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

divgradcurl said:
If you are using the trademark to descride the product, like "he grabbed a can of Coke," that's okay. Any use of a trademark that implies that the mark owner endorses or is otrherwise involved in your book is not okay, without permission.

My response:

To be safe, would it detract from the storyline if you merely referred to the product as "cola"?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">