• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Use of company logo in GoFundMe

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

That really makes little sense.
I think westside is suggesting that if I can't get an attorney pro bono then it is because my case has no merit and there is no money to entice an attorney to take it?

There is money there or I would not have received a contract from a firm to represent me in the case. I just don't want to be a part of a class action, I want this over, done and I want to move on. Plus I think that the punitive damages award will be far greater if it is an individual case and not a class action where I'm one out of possibly 50 lead plaintiffs. I think they told me there would be one for each state.

In the end, just about everything is about the money. If I didn't have so much anger, I would be so much less greedy. Money really is the root of all evil.

quincy

I think westside is suggesting that if I can't get an attorney pro bono then it is because my case has no merit and there is no money to entice an attorney to take it?
Maybe. If so, that is silly.

There is money there or I would not have received a contract from a firm to represent me in the case. I just don't want to be a part of a class action, I want this over, done and I want to move on. Plus I think that the punitive damages award will be far greater if it is an individual case and not a class action where I'm one out of possibly 50 lead plaintiffs. I think they told me there would be one for each state.
Interesting. You received a contract from a firm?

In the end, just about everything is about the money. If I didn't have so much anger, I would be so much less greedy. Money really is the root of all evil.
A class action is not about money as much as it is about forcing change.

Interesting. You received a contract from a firm?
I did. I received a class action retention agreement from a big, (HUGE) actually law firm that is currently handling many class actions as we speak. It says it is privileged and confidential which means I can't even pay an attorney to review it for me. I do not like some of the wording in it.

Attorneys take risks with these class actions but they also get paid if they win. They get really, really paid. So IMHO, it is still about the money. It's not really supposed to be but it is.

quincy

I did. I received a class action retention agreement from a big, (HUGE) actually law firm that is currently handling many class actions as we speak. It says it is privileged and confidential which means I can't even pay an attorney to review it for me. I do not like some of the wording in it.

Attorneys take risks with these class actions but they also get paid if they win. They get really, really paid. So IMHO, it is still about the money. It's not really supposed to be but it is.
Again, interesting.

There are ethical rules that prevent an attorney from soliciting clients.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess

I strongly suggest you get yourself a quick primer on class action suits and how they work.

Hint: "collecting" clients does not mean that there is actually a viable case ...

quincy

This is very unusual (and unethical).

You should not receive a contract from any attorney or his firm until the attorney has interviewed you and/or personally reviewed the facts of your situation - and this would generally be done after YOU make the initial contact with the attorney/law firm for the review.

Again, interesting.

There are ethical rules that prevent an attorney from soliciting clients.
They didn't solicit, I contacted them. They went over all the details on my case with me over the phone. I was on the phone for over an hour and the sent the agreement overnight. Then they called and I told them I wasn't interested. They have since emailed me something to sign about declining their services but I've been to busy to0 actually read it.

I appreciate this forum and I appreciate you Quincy for supporting legal aid for civil suits. I've googled pro se on this forum and there is no one pro pro se here and for good reason I suppose. It's against the common interest. If people could effectively handle their own cases, then what would attorneys do for a living?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I appreciate this forum and I appreciate you Quincy for supporting legal aid for civil suits. I've googled pro se on this forum and there is no one pro pro se here and for good reason I suppose. It's against the common interest. If people could effectively handle their own cases, then what would attorneys do for a living?
Huh? You DO realize that almost everyone on this forum is not an attorney, right?

quincy

They didn't solicit, I contacted them. They went over all the details on my case with me over the phone. I was on the phone for over an hour and the sent the agreement overnight. Then they called and I told them I wasn't interested. They have since emailed me something to sign about declining their services but I've been to busy to0 actually read it.
If you contacted the firm to ask about the class action, then what you received from the firm makes more sense (although it is still odd).

I appreciate this forum and I appreciate you Quincy for supporting legal aid for civil suits.
I do believe there is a need for court-appointed attorneys for civil suits in the same way there are court-appointed attorneys for the indigent in criminal cases. However I do not see this happening on a widespread scale any time soon.

I've googled pro se on this forum and there is no one pro pro se here and for good reason I suppose. It's against the common interest. If people could effectively handle their own cases, then what would attorneys do for a living?
Do you mean "pro bono" instead of "pro se?"

Solicitation of clients by attorneys is not allowed on this forum. The members of this forum who are attorneys (and there are very few on this forum who are attorneys) can only assist posters within the limits of their states' professional and ethical codes and within the limits of the FreeAdvice forum terms and conditions.

Silverplum

No. The love of money is the root of all evil. 1st Timothy 6:10.

Most people get it wrong. I don't know why, except for general Biblical illiteracy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">