• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Use of company logo in GoFundMe

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I plan to start a GofundMe campaign to raise money to help with legal fees associated with a lawsuit that I want to file against a company. Can I use their company logo in my campaign?

Thanks in advance!

westside

I plan to start a GofundMe campaign to raise money to help with legal fees associated with a lawsuit that I want to file against a company. Can I use their company logo in my campaign?

Thanks in advance!
You might need a second campaign to pay the legal fees for doing so in your first campaign.

You might need a second campaign to pay the legal fees for doing so in your first campaign.
That's kinda what I thought but wanted to confirm it. Dang it that sucks!!! And thank you for responding!

Edited to add: Can I take their logo and photoshop it and change it enough that you can still tell it is their logo but make it different enough to be able to use it? Like change the colors or put a lighting bolt or something on it?

Is it legal to use their name? Like if I superimpose it on a big corporate building?

Thanks again!

westside

That's kinda what I thought but wanted to confirm it. Dang it that sucks!!! And thank you for responding!

Edited to add: Can I take their logo and photoshop it and change it enough that you can still tell it is their logo but make it different enough to be able to use it? Like change the colors or put a lighting bolt or something on it?

Is it legal to use their name? Like if I superimpose it on a big corporate building?

Thanks again!
What's the point? If the company is well-known, using their logo doesn't accomplish anything, if it isn't well known, using their logo won't accomplish anything.

What's the point? If the company is well-known, using their logo doesn't accomplish anything, if it isn't well known, using their logo won't accomplish anything.
The point is effective marketing of the campaign. If the logo incenses others that have been impacted negatively by this company, might they be more likely to fund me? I would also like the company to know about it. I want to rub it in their face.

AdjunctFL

I would also like the company to know about it. I want to rub it in their face.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, first dig two graves.

Confucius

The legal system is good for money damages but isn't the best place to seek revenge. Also, if you're going to file a lawsuit you will need an attorney. I wouldn't post anything, including a GoFundMe page that can be seen by anyone and everyone, without consulting with the attorney first as it could impact on the legal action.

The company will certainly know about the lawsuit when they receive notice it was filed.

Before you embark on a journey of revenge, first dig two graves.

Confucius

The legal system is good for money damages but isn't the best place to seek revenge.
Money damages is the revenge. I'd be happy just winning and getting what is owed to me. Statutory and punitive damages, if awarded will be a bonus.

Also, if you're going to file a lawsuit you will need an attorney. I wouldn't post anything, including a GoFundMe page that can be seen by anyone and everyone, without consulting with the attorney first as it could impact on the legal action.
The purpose of the GoFundMe is to raise money for an attorney. If I could afford an attorney, I wouldn't even bother to inquire here!

quincy

I plan to start a GofundMe campaign to raise money to help with legal fees associated with a lawsuit that I want to file against a company. Can I use their company logo in my campaign? ...
You can use another's trademark in a descriptive manner - to identify a particular company, product or service. To speak about Ford Mustangs, you can use the trademarks Ford and Mustang.

Logos should be avoided. You cannot alter someone's trademark.

Disparaging a company, its products or its services, leaves you wide open to a lawsuit - a lawsuit you currently seem ill-equipped to afford.

Although I understand the purpose of your GoFundMe campaign is to raise money for an attorney, you really cannot afford to NOT speak to an attorney in your area before you go ahead with this plan of yours.

westside

Before a fund-raising campaign, why not have a consult with a couple of the "I don't get paid unless you get paid" types? If they're not interested, it speaks volumes.

justalayman

Money damages is the revenge. I'd be happy just winning and getting what is owed to me. Statutory and punitive damages, if awarded will be a bonus.

The purpose of the GoFundMe is to raise money for an attorney. If I could afford an attorney, I wouldn't even bother to inquire here!
The cost of an attorney advisor is minimal compared to the cost of losing a defamation suit or a copyright infringement suit (which in themselves will have a high price for attorney's fees for you) . While you can get some basic advice here, you really should shell out the money to have an attorney review your specific actions prior to starting the journey.

quincy

Before a fund-raising campaign, why not have a consult with a couple of the "I don't get paid unless you get paid" types? If they're not interested, it speaks volumes.
There are few attorneys who will take a legal action of this sort on a contingency basis. The best option for mrsjohnson is to find a low-cost attorney to review the matter prior to starting any GoFundMe campaign - a campaign that is liable to attract the attention of the company's attorneys. A trademark action and an injunction are real possibilities.

Trademarks are valuable. Company reputations are valuable. This value can translate into a large award of damages against any disgruntled consumer who does not handle both of these carefully.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">