• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Use of film elements in a game

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DaveGregory

What is the name of your state? International - but hope you can still help me... It's a fairly fundamental issue.

Right, I'm currently writing a computer game based very closely upon a sequence in a 1982 film.

In the game I've used sounds (but not speech) sampled directly from the film and imagery that is re-drawn but very obviously based directly upon the imagery in the film. The sounds in question were created specifically for the original film and are unique to it.

My questions are:

Can I charge people to purchase my game or would that be an ifringement of copyright?

Can I attach my own copyright notice to the game and if so, what can I claim copyright for and how should I acknowledge the source material?

If I can't rightfully charge for the game, can I still give it away for free?

...And then get away with inviting people to make donations, so I can purchase the software required to make improvements to this and future games?

Any advice gratefully received!

Cheers.

Last edited:

C

CombatTN88

Writing game based on this movie and copying samples of sound from that movie is possible of copyright violation. That production company may sue you for copying its idea. Maybe I am wrong, but others will answer you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">