• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Use of Imagery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EdwardJ912010

[Chicago / Illinois Based] I am looking to create almost like a small museum dedicated to the artwork of video games and where the culture has gone from the early days to modern time. I understand fair use to an extent however i am no lawyer and i wanted to hear what other people would say about this topic if I would be able to legally create a small museum or if I would have to do license every image / logo I use within the museum.

single317dad

What do you plan to display in your museum?

Do you plan to reproduce existing works for display, or purchase items and original artwork?

Do you plan to "rebroadcast" any footage such as cutscenes from games, game playthroughs (such as are easily found on YouTube and the like), interviews, or trailers?

Last edited:

EdwardJ912010

What do you plan to display in your museum?

Do you plan to reproduce existing works for display, or purchase items and original artwork?

Do you plan to "rebroadcast" any footage such as cutscenes from games, game playthroughs (such as are easily found on YouTube and the like), interviews, or trailers?
Ideally I would like to show the actual advertising that the companies have used to market their games (ie posters, manuals, actual cartridges, released concept art, etc.).

I wouldn't want anything really created by me (or anyone i hire) as that does not show the history.

As for rebroadcasting, i would like to show actual gameplay, however not just anything found off of youtube as i already know the definitive legal standpoint on that. I would prefer to use footage that the companies themselves have released as promotional material.

Also, two little things to note, how much would companies approximately charge for licensing them in this capacity (since I am not using them in my own creation, but using them in an educational standpoint) and also would it be protected under fair use doctrine if I do not charge a fee to enter the museum?

quincy

Ideally I would like to show the actual advertising that the companies have used to market their games (ie posters, manuals, actual cartridges, released concept art, etc.).

I wouldn't want anything really created by me (or anyone i hire) as that does not show the history.

As for rebroadcasting, i would like to show actual gameplay, however not just anything found off of youtube as i already know the definitive legal standpoint on that. I would prefer to use footage that the companies themselves have released as promotional material.

Also, two little things to note, how much would companies approximately charge for licensing them in this capacity (since I am not using them in my own creation, but using them in an educational standpoint) and also would it be protected under fair use doctrine if I do not charge a fee to enter the museum?
If you legally purchase the items you wish to display in your museum, that is something you are allowed to do under the first sale doctrine and 17 USC §109(c) (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/109).

If you wish to show actual gameplay, this is also something you are allowed to do.

But, you cannot copy any material for use in your museum, and you cannot show video footage of any length that is produced by the game companies, without written permission and possibly a license from the companies to use the material. Licensing fees will vary, depending on the companies involved - and it is even possible that a company will not charge any licensing fee at all but rather donate material for display and use in your museum. The "of any length" can be a problem because short clips can often be permissible under a fair use exception to the copyright law, but determining what length the holder of the rights thinks is fair can sometimes be left for a court to decide. Therefore, you are smart to get permission for even short clips.

The major problem I see with your museum is in the advertising of it. You cannot use any rights-protected material in your promotional material that could lead a consumer to believe the rights-holder endorses or supports your museum or is in any way connected with your museum.

And, if rights-holders take exception to any of your uses of their material, you will need to defend your use. This can get costly.

Therefore, a careful review by an IP attorney in your area, and getting permission from the rights-holders whose material you wish to display, can be your best insurance in avoiding a lawsuit - although having liability insurance coverage for your museum is also a smart idea and recommended.

Your museum sounds interesting. I wish you good luck with it.

Last edited:

single317dad

Many YouTube videos are licensed under Creative Commons and some of those licenses allow reuse by commercial entities. Tosh.0, as one example, makes extensive use of this type of licensing. YouTube videos are generally reduced quality, so you may be better off contacting some of the original posters of gameplay videos and striking a deal directly with them.

https://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/

quincy

Many YouTube videos are licensed under Creative Commons and some of those licenses allow reuse by commercial entities. Tosh.0, as one example, makes extensive use of this type of licensing. YouTube videos are generally reduced quality, so you may be better off contacting some of the original posters of gameplay videos and striking a deal directly with them.

https://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/
YouTube videos are certainly something for EdwardJ to consider, but I prefer his idea to use original footage released by the companies as promotional material for the games (if the companies are willing to allow for this use at minimal or no cost to Edward).

This seems to me to be a better fit for a museum that is dedicated to the history of the games (although the YouTube videos could capture the culture).

I know many museums will rely on donors to provide works for display. Depending on many factors, including the location of the museum (Chicago is good) and the type of financing available for the museum and the community interest in the museum, Edward could find video game companies wanting to support or endorse the venture.

Whatever plans he has for his museum, though, a consultation with an attorney in his area would probably be a good first best step to take before too much time, energy or money is invested in the museum's creation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">