• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Use of Landmark names on products

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steveholt

Hi,
we manufacture licensed apparel and have a Ferris Bueller design that is a map of all the places that he went on his day off. can we list the actual names of the places, Wrigley Field, Art Institute and Sears Tower?
Thanks,
Neil

quincy

Hi,
we manufacture licensed apparel and have a Ferris Bueller design that is a map of all the places that he went on his day off. can we list the actual names of the places, Wrigley Field, Art Institute and Sears Tower?
Thanks,
Neil
What is the name of your state, steveholt?

Trademarks can be used in a descriptive manner (i.e., you can use the trademarked Coke to describe what you are drinking).

quincy

I'm in ohio, thanks for the input!
Thank you for providing your state name.

There are some architectural landmarks whose images have become company trademarks. Any illustrations you include in your Ferris Bueller map should avoid copying these logos (example: the Transamerica pyramid).

An addition: Because you mentioned that you manufacture licensed apparel, I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that you have licensed for use the trademark "Ferris Bueller." The trademark "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" is owned by Paramount Pictures Corporation. Paramount markets apparel (primarily tee-shirts) based on the film (and toys).

So, you have a few rights that could be held by others that you will need to consider (and possibly obtain a license for) before marketing your Ferris-Bueller-based clothing items. A review of your map by an IP professional in your area would be smart and it is what I recommend. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">