• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Use of movie scenes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kssgold

Hello,

I want to create gifs using scenes from famous films to share on social media for my business

I think that the copyright for a movie is 90 years

I do not know if I can do it or not?

quincy

Hello,

I want to create gifs using scenes from famous films to share on social media for my business

I think that the copyright for a movie is 90 years

I do not know if I can do it or not?
What is the name of your state, kssgold, or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

It can be possible to use scenes from famous films to create gifts but it really matters what the film is, what scene you are using, and how you are using the scene.

A scene from a 90 year old film would not necessarily be in the "public domain" in the US, making it free of any copyright protection. A work published prior to 1923, on the other hand, would be in the public domain in the US. When a work is in the public domain, it can be used by anyone without risk of a copyright infringement lawsuit arising from the use.

Here is a good chart that shows copyright terms and the public domain, offered by Cornell: http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm

Only the original versions of works that fall within the terms and conditions shown in the chart linked to above are in the public domain, however. There are some public domain works that have been revised or modified and these revised or modified versions of the public domain works can have copyright protection.

And you do not only have to be concerned about copyrights when taking material from a film. There are privacy and publicity rights to consider (e.g., you often cannot use the image of an individual without authorization from the individual) and there are trademark rights to consider (e.g., you often cannot take a scene from a film that shows a trademark).

The bottom line is that specific facts matter. The specific film and the specific scene and the specific use needs to be known. Research is needed to determine if you can take a scene from a film and use it for your business. You can consult with an IP attorney in your area of the world for a personal review of these specifics.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">