• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Use of music for online talent show

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tunethony

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

If I conducted an online contest similar to American Idol where people sent in videos of themselves singing songs (such as covers of Springsteen or the Rolling Stones for example), would I be allowed to post them to the contest web site?

tunethony

Thanks, justalayman.

Let me be more clear. Do I need to pay an organization such as ASCAP in order to post on a web site contestants performing copyrighted songs?

FlyingRon

You need to meet several issues.

You need to pay ASCAP (or BMI or SESAC as appropriate) for the performance rights for the particular song. They have special internet licenses in a couple of flavors depending on just what you are doing.

If you allow some sort of download rather than non-interactive streaming you may owe the mechanicals as well.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">