• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Use of Silhouette of Charlie Chaplin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

themadcatlady

I would like to use the silhouette (i.e. a black outline only) of Charlie Chaplin, with hat and stick and typical broadlegged pose, for a logo for a new company.

Can anybody tell me if the use of his silhouette would be a trademark infringement?

If yes, would it be an infringement if we took a photo of a friend dressed with hat and stick and in the same pose, and then used that silhouette for the logo?

Advice would be most welcome.

quincy

Charlie Chaplin, his name, the name of his films, and the Little Tramp image, are protected by both copyright and trademark. You would need to contact Roy Export Company Establishment and Bubbles Inc. S.A., owners of the rights, for permission and a license to use the Little Tramp likeness for your company's trademark.

Whether a license would be granted is anyone's guess, and my guess is that it wouldn't be. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">