• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Use of trademarked items in a custom T-shirt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Golddenim

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

I have created a design for a T-shirt that I want just for myself. The design includes tradmarked or copyrighted corporate logos, one that is in current use, and a previous one that is not in current use, as well as a trademarked name. The design for the shirt is meant to celebrate an anniversary within the company who owns the trademarks, and is not meant to disparage the company in any way. I only want to make or have one T-shirt made for myself. I will not sell this shirt or the design. However, I will be wearing it in public, both in my home state of Ohio, and in the company's home state of Florida. Does this qualify as "fair use" as I am not profiting or distributing the shirt or design, and it is used to identify the company in question? Or do I still need to obtain permission from the company?

Thanks in advance.

DStaub

First of all, there is no "fair use" as such when it comes to trademarks. However, in your case, you should be safe for another reason.

Although there are other concepts such as trademark "dilution," the main focus of trademark infringement is section 1114(1) of the Lanham Act. Under that section, infringement occurs when the trademark is used "in commerce." Clearly, making a t-shirt for your own use simply to wear in public in a non-commercial way does not meet the requirement of being "in commerce."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">