• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

User Submitted Videos -YouTube etc

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

badmp3

What is the name of your state? CT

When using media clips off of sites like YouTube, are you liable for any damages if the videos are copyrighted?

divgradcurl

badmp3 said:
What is the name of your state? CT

When using media clips off of sites like YouTube, are you liable for any damages if the videos are copyrighted?
What do you mean by "using?"

If you are just watching the videos, probably not, because you are not making a "copy" of the video (although your computer does arguably cache at least a partial copy while you are viewing, this is unlikely to be considered a "copy" for the purpose of copyright infringement).

If you are making a copy of the video, or hosting it on your own site, or something like that, then yeah, you could be liable for copyright infringement.

badmp3

divgradcurl said:
What do you mean by "using?"

If you are just watching the videos, probably not, because you are not making a "copy" of the video (although your computer does arguably cache at least a partial copy while you are viewing, this is unlikely to be considered a "copy" for the purpose of copyright infringement).

If you are making a copy of the video, or hosting it on your own site, or something like that, then yeah, you could be liable for copyright infringement.
YouTube lets you put there videos on your websites, the file isnt copied nor stored on my site. Its just a link going back to there servers but viewable from my site.

Would I still be liable ?

badmp3

Ill do a example ...

A Bad user .. posts a video clip from some TV station on YouTube.

YouTube hosts the file and provides links for others to add the video to there sited, blogs etc.

Now TV Station goes to your site and sees there Video, would I be liable for any copyright damages there?

divgradcurl

badmp3 said:
Ill do a example ...

A Bad user .. posts a video clip from some TV station on YouTube.

YouTube hosts the file and provides links for others to add the video to there sited, blogs etc.

Now TV Station goes to your site and sees there Video, would I be liable for any copyright damages there?
If you just have a link that takes you to the youtube site, then probably not. Simply linking to a site that contains infringing materials so far has not been found to be infringing itself in the U.S.

If the video is embedded in such a way that it appears to be hosted on your site, even if it is not, you maybe liable for copyright infringement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">