• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using another companies name in a URL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blink401

What is the name of your state? NM

I am considering helping out a friend by hosting and developing a website that will for the most part be a slam site i.e. "I am a disgruntled walmart shopper and I want to tell my tale."

This site has nothing to do with Walmart, but a large organization with dozens of locations. The organization for the most part runs like a franchise, and the website will be focusing on a single location. The targeted location is run without much involvement of the parent organization, but of course has to follow certain rules and carries their brand name. I think you get the idea.

Of course nothing untrue will be posted, and nothing we can't backup with some proof. The kicker is that a mirror of their site name is available for purchase on the .com domain.

My question is, are we safe to use their name in the url of this site? The url doesn't contain the name of the organization as registered with the state, but it does contain the complete name of the parent company. i.e. www.BillsNike.com Title: “Top Ten Reasons not to Shop at Bills Nike.

Your insight is appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

racer72

No, you cannot use a registered trademark name in your URL. There are lots of folks out there that would like to have a website with Microsoft in the name, whether for good or bad reasons, but there is only one URL that has Microsoft in it, and of course, that is the Microsoft site. There is software that allows those that provide internet security to search for words and phrases in URL addresses and they are very aggressive in shutting down certain sites.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">