• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using audio from movies in a podcast?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skttrbrn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Everywhere

Hey everyone, i have a quick question about using audio in podcasts. By that I mean am I able to use a movie trailer (the audio) in a podcast? Am I able to use a little snippet of audio from the movie itself?

I have heard there's a 30 second rule, that if you use less than 30 seconds from the one source its ok?. I know of dozens and dozens of songs that use dialogue and audio snippets from movies, and a lot of the bands are pretty big.

And does this "30 second rule" apply to music in general? Can I use a snippet of audio at the beginning of my podcast if its less than 30 seconds?

Further notes:

* The podcasts are movie reviews
* Everything is non-profit
* All the appropriate credit is given to the original source (artist, movie, song, etc.)

I guess the question is, does this fall under fair use? I admit, I don't really understand fair use at all...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

US law only.

No 30 second rule in the US either (and I'm fairly sure there isn't one in Australia either).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">