• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using Company Name & Brand Name on the Internet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aQuatell

I run a business that sells equipment. One of the manufacturers whose products I sell has decided rather abruptly that they want all internet companies to cease selling their equipment and to remove the name of the manufacturer and their related brand names from all websites.

Where I used to offer this manufacturer's products for sale I would like to put the following statement: "We no longer sell Company ABC products such as XYZ Brand. Instead, we are offering different products that can be found at this link".

The name of Company ABC with a small logo together are trademarked. There appears to be no such trademark with the brand. I see no reference on Company ABC's website that the company name nor the brand names are copyrighted.

If I use the statement above on my website does Company ABC have any legal means of stopping me if I reference any and all trademarks/copyrights?

I am a Canadian corporation and Company ABC is U.S. based. Does that make any difference?

If there are legal grounds for Company ABC to prevent me from using their name, is this something that would commonly be pursued by a corporation?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

The brand name can still be a trademark even if it isn't registered.
If you are using the name purely in an informational method as you described there shouldn't be anything that the owner of the brand should have a legitimate complaint about.

The_Saint

You see companies use other companies names for comparisons etc. An example would be Verizon showing how its 3G service is better than AT&T.

You also see it with compatible printer toners etc.

I would probably throw in a disclamer at the bottom about ABC being copyrighted and the property of XYZ or something to that affect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">