• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using Contact Info from a Published Book

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dsmboosted

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I am starting a business that offers a service to people looking to break into "xyz" industry. As part of my product that I am selling, I want to offer contacts for agents around the country. There is a company that has a similar contact list that is available for sale.The competitor has a publication that contains the following contact information for business listings:

Name, number, address, fax, website address, notable clients.

Some of the information is public, but I cant assume that all of it is. Their website states that they call and verify and obtain all of the information listed. Can I use the above information in my publication, from their publication? I obviously don't want to get sued for copy write infringement, but it would save me thousands of research hours to use their contacts etc. Can I legally do this?

Here is the legal print on their publication:
All rights reserved. The xxx is apublication of xxx. Opinions expressedin the xxx are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the xxx.Reproduction of any data or material from this publication is expressly forbidden without the priorwritten permission from the Publisher. Althoughthe data contained in this publication has beenconfirmed by phone, none of it should be considered legally binding as in the case of venue capacity,age restrictions, etc. Anyone requiring this informationfor official or legal purposes is directed bythe Publisher to contact that business directly forofficial verification.

dsmboosted

How far does that statement you made hold true about facts are not copywritable? I know I cant go and publish social security numbers. But---

Can I publish email addreses, website addresses, business addresses and business phone numbers...even if they are not made public?

FlyingRon

How far does that statement you made hold true about facts are not copywritable? I know I cant go and publish social security numbers. But---

Can I publish email addreses, website addresses, business addresses and business phone numbers...even if they are not made public?
The word is copyRIGHT.
What does social security numbers have to do with copyright?

There may be privacy issues if the orgainzation you are getting the data is somehow enjoined from disclosing it.

There may be legal issues if you obtain the material under a contract that prohibits disclosing it.

But copyright won't have any effect on protecting this information.

dsmboosted

The word is copyRIGHT.
What does social security numbers have to do with copyright?

There may be privacy issues if the orgainzation you are getting the data is somehow enjoined from disclosing it.

There may be legal issues if you obtain the material under a contract that prohibits disclosing it.

But copyright won't have any effect on protecting this information.
I was just using the social security # for illustrative purposes..they have nothing to do with my question.

I think I may need to call each company to verify the info and ask if i can use it. Thanks for the help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">