• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

using data from commercial publications

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fredweil

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

I want to compile an electronic datafile of names addresses phone #s etc from a comercially published printed listing of companies, and offer that data set as a product in electronic format. I find no copyright claim anywhere in the publication and am not certain if this type of printed information is covered under any copyright laws that would prevent me from compiling it in a new format.

Thanks for you help on this!!

V

Veronica01

The name, address and telephone number of a person, or a company, is not copyrightable. The format in which it is presented is protected by the copyright law. The reproduction of the same compilation of data is, in general, not an infringement of copyright. Compile a sample and bring it to an attorney to get a direct assessment about your situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">