• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using a (dead) celebrity's face and first name in my logo and brand name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HelpMePlease85

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is in the correct section or not. However, I am using a celebritys face and first name in my logo and brand name. The celebrity is dead if that makes any difference. Am I violating any kind of copyright/trademark/patent/fair use laws???

Thank you for the help....

Last edited:

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state?

We ask for good reason.
We also need to know the state the celebrity lived in.

California passed a law three years ago extending right to publicity for 70 years after death (even for those who died before it's enactment). Pennsylvania provides for 30 years. NJ and NY legislators introduced similar bills shortly thereafter (NY was actually in perpetuity).

I'm not seeing what the redacted website you're trying to show is.

HelpMePlease85

What is the name of your state?

We ask for good reason.
We also need to know the state the celebrity lived in.

California passed a law three years ago extending right to publicity for 70 years after death (even for those who died before it's enactment). Pennsylvania provides for 30 years. NJ and NY legislators introduced similar bills shortly thereafter (NY was actually in perpetuity).

I'm not seeing what the redacted website you're trying to show is.
My state is Florida

The celebrity's state: California

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Google California Civil Code 3344, aka the Fred Astaire act.

That will certainly cover the likeness. The Garcia estate and the Dead almost certainly have other trademark rights as well.
In addition, whoever's photo that is you stole probably also has cause of action.

Last edited:

HelpMePlease85

Google California Civil Code 3344, aka the Fred Astaire act.

That will certainly cover the likeness. The Garcia estate and the Dead almost certainly have other trademark rights as well.
In addition, whoever's photo that is you stole probably also has cause of action.
Thanks FlyingRon... I've changed my logo. I appreciate your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">