• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using Internet lists/financial info in product

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

georgep7

Hi all,

I have developed a product that collects information from auction results on the Internet (both automatically and manually) for collectibles and other saleable goods. Our product then classifies each entry using a predefined set of categories, etc that we have defined. We then collate the data and analyse results such as high/lows for the week/month, average price, etc. very much like stock analysis tools do these days.

My question is whether I have to ask permission to use the realised prices from these on line auctions houses? I have been reading about "fair use" and "degree of transformation" with respects to copyright law. As the information collected is added to totally new list, would this be ok to use without asking for permission? I should mention that I will sell the product as a subscription, so there are commercial implications.

I have made a few enquiries to law firms, however they have asked for retainers of $10,000 upwards and that's a bit out of my price-point at the moment for a product that is still in its infancy.

Thanks for any help or pointing me in the right direction.

Regards

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">