• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using the Legal System to Obtain the Name I Want?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KyleScalise

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hi,

I've been looking to start up a project I liked to call "Sinister Media".

Unfortunately, two major components of what is necessary to begin this project are not available:

1) SinisterMedia.com
2) YouTube.com/SinisterMedia

The domain name is currently pointing to a parked page supplied by the registrar, and the YouTube account must have been deleted, since it's showing as non-existant though it still cannot be registered.

Would there be a way (possibly using trademarks) to use the legal system obtain these two components?

Kind regards,
Kyle Scalise

FlyingRon

http://www.ehow.com/how_4830182_buy-parked-domain-name.html
Oddly, while the information there is not incorrect, it may not go as easy as the process would make it appear.
I had a domain that a predecessor let expire and it's being squatted upon. It's near impossible to get any information out of the current owner (who for some reason is in Viet Nam). You would think that if they were squatting no the name you think they would welcome the opportunity to sell it back. They could easily get a few thousand (it takes that much to file an actual anti-cybersquatting case with the screwed up UDRP procedure).

Also not stated, is that the parked domains that are merely in the process of timing out are very hard to intercept. There's a window when the domain expires that it can be grabbed. Many of the domain services will claim a service that will grab these for you, but the squatters almost always seem to beat these to it.

I would recommend you do not get your heart set on getting this domain name.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
https://www.godaddy.com/domains/domain-broker.aspx?isc=GPPT03C108&ci=83314&domaintocheck=sinistermedia.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">