• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using movie clips in my product.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trones

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Currently I do not have an entity setup for this business, however it will most likely just be an LLC in Rhode Island... but then again maybe Nevada or Utah.

Anyway I want to release a digital informational product, and I wish to use certain clips of many different films that I have found are good examples to illustrate the points I am trying to make (most of this is about social situations and the actions of the actors). If a picture is worth a thousands words... film is the most powerful thing I can use... sorry for the cliche.

I know the basics about copyrights and trademarks, and if i made it absolutely clear that the content used belongs to whichever group, would I be inviting any litigation? Do i need to go to the production companies or whoever and get their express permission?

I am wary of using anything I do not own in any of my products, even down to the fonts on my websites.

Thank You.

quincy

You will need to get permission to use the film clips from the holders of the copyrights in the films, unless the films are in the public domain. See http://www.copyright.gov for more information on public domain materials.

In the U.S., attributing the source of copyrighted material does not prevent an infringement suit if the material is used without authorization from the copyright owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">