• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using Old Magazine Covers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mdrinne

Using Magazine covers and Photo's of monsters

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

There is a fan magazine that came out in the 50's and discontinued publication in the early 80's.

The trademark was abandoned until someone acquired it in the early 90's and started releasing another magazine under the same name.

The new publisher and the old publisher have nothing to do with each other.

Can I use the cover images of the original publisher on T-Shirts and Coffee Mugs and the like to make a profit, or do I need to get permission to do so?

Also, I would like to use images of the Frankenstein monster, Dracula, etc. for the same purpose. I'm pretty sure I would need to get permission for this, but if I recreate the images with my own artwork making them unique to me would I still need permission?

Last edited:

racer72

Magazine copyrights are good for 75 years. You will need permission. You can sell pictures of monsters and vampires, just don't call them by the more popular names.

M

mdrinne

by saying it's okay to use pictures of monsters as long as I don't call them by their popular name, are you saying i can use actual photo's of bela lugosi as dracula and boris karloff as Frankenstein as long as i don't say "dracula" and "frankenstein"?

my plan would be to have my trademark logo on one side of the coffee mug and the picture of Lugosi as Dracula on the other.

i should have made my initial question more specific.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">