• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using a poem quote in an art exhibit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Emma89

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I want to use a two-word phrase from an Emily Dickinson poem as the title of an upcoming art exhibition of my work. I haven't yet decided if I will refer to the poem and explain the reference in my artists statement. Is this okay to do?

FlyingRon

Dickinson died in 1886, you do not have to worry about copyright issues.
Professional ethics may indicate that you should probably give credit but that's not a legal issue.

Even if the work were protected by copyright, it's not clear that two words extracted into a title would constitute any sort of infringement.

Last edited:

Emma89

Thank you, I appreciate it. I had read somewhere that it was possible for her works to still be under a copyright in spite of the time since her death. But I did feel the two words probably would make it a non-issue. Just wanted to be sure. Thanks!

eerelations

It appears professional ethics is of no interest to the OP...

So OP, which long dead artist did you steal your art work from?

FlyingRon

That's a bit harsh. Two words do not a creative work make, and if the phrase is well know, it's kind of silly having to annotate it's origin. If I were to exhibit my pictures of trees and wanted to call the exhibit "...lovely as a tree," I don't think it's really necessary to point out that I took that from Joyce Kilmer (who was not as my brother thinks, Billy Kilmer's wife).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">