• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using "Quotes"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bravo6

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hi,

I'm designing a line of t-shirts that use quotes from celebrities in the designs. Are there legal issues with this, if these quotes were stated publicly and not registered as a trademark?

Thanks!

FlyingRon

Not being registered doesn't mean much to you. They can be trademarks if they are used in commerce. The more famous the quote is, the more likely you'll have issues. For example, using Arnold's "I'll be back" is almost certainly going to run afoul of the movie maker. Further, if you stray beyond the quote (into the actual celebrity name or likeness), you have different issues.

bravo6

hmm, so using a quote and actually crediting the person that said it is a bigger issue than just using the quote without any credit?

bravo6

And what if these are NOT really 'famous' quotes like "I'll Be Back"?

What if these are just things that were said in conversations?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

If it's just something they've said that's not been used as a trademark you won't run afoul of copyright or trademark issues for the quote. However, depending on what you're doing you'll still be infringing on the celebrity's rights to protect the use of his name and likeness.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">