• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using a Song Name on a product for resale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kssoaper

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I'm finding it hard to get a definite answer to this question - can we use a song name on a product made for resale? If not, how about words from a song....

These will be songs from the 60's - checked the copy write website, they go back to 1978..... we are just a small shop, just don't want to get in any trouble:rolleyes:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

The word is copyRIGHT.

Titles are not protected by copyright.

They may be subject to trademark protection. The key is proof of secondary meaning and consumer recognition other than just as the title to the song. The fact that the songs are from the sixties has no bearing on things, nor whether they appear on the copyright website.

kssoaper

CopyRIGHT Question

Sorry, I did misspell that - but I'm not sure if you're saying it is, or isn't, advisable to use song names for our products.....secondary meaning - our products are not related to any artist, or rock and roll, in any way - is that what you mean by that?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">