• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using TMs in a Reference Mobile Application

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

majj

I'm looking into the creating a mobile application that will be used as a "reference book" for products in a specific industry.

For instance, there is a Canon point and shoot camera and I want to list step-by-step on how to setup the camera to do a specific function. Is it possible to do this without consent, or will I need clearance? Also, how far can I go with it? Can I post pictures of buttons and menus of their products as well?

I've been trying to do research for a while, but I can't seem to figure out what constitutes as fair-use.

quincy

I'm looking into the creating a mobile application that will be used as a "reference book" for products in a specific industry.

For instance, there is a Canon point and shoot camera and I want to list step-by-step on how to setup the camera to do a specific function. Is it possible to do this without consent, or will I need clearance? Also, how far can I go with it? Can I post pictures of buttons and menus of their products as well?

I've been trying to do research for a while, but I can't seem to figure out what constitutes as fair-use.
What state are you in, majj?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

US Law ONLY. :cool:

quincy

Hmmm. I am thinking majj might not be in the U.S. ;)

majj, the odds are pretty good that what you want to do with your app will require permission from Canon, if you wish to avoid legal problems arising from your use of their mark and logo.

What is considered a "fair use" of a trademark in the U.S. would be using the mark in a descriptive sense (eg, identifying a camera as a Canon), or in comparative advertising (eg, comparing a Canon to a Nikon), or in commentary (eg, news report or consumer report), or in a parody.

You can go to Canon's official website and use their "contact us" feature to inform them of your proposed plan (to see what they say) and/or to inquire about permission to use their mark. Or you can review your plans with an attorney in your area (wherever that area may be).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">