• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using trademarks without direct reference to brand

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

questioner20

Hi everybody i'm new here :) .I'm making a website and after a lot of thinking about the possible names of sections i worked out a few ones. The problem is they all are trademarks. For example, i use cocaco... for drinks, goodfellas for friends comments, and so on. I'm exhausted of browsing on the web about nominative use, secondary use, etc but i've not yet come to some cathegoric statement about it. I know i can legally use the trademark for any purpose if i'm referring to the mark itself. The problem is i'm not doing it, i'm taking it simply because its 'context' is related to my contents. And even worse, i may eventually offer some non-free goods at my web, so it'd be considered as misusing the popular names for my own benefit.

I've mostly assumed i'll have to change them, but thought i could ask just in case :) Any help will be appreciated, but in all, i need some kind of definitive answer so i can start with the web.

Thanks and cheers.

quincy

Your assumption that the use of trademarks on your website could be legally risky is a correct one.

You would be far wiser to use generic terms for your sections (ie. use Soda instead of Coke). This may not give your sections the same panache, but it may save you from a legal battle over trademark rights, especially if you are envisioning using your site to market goods in the future.

You can visit United States Patent and Trademark Office for additional information on trademarks, and you can run your website idea by an IP attorney for advice and direction, as well.

questioner20

Many, many thanks quincy, i'll take your advice and struggle my mind for some original fancy names. Former ones were so good though :( Well i'm afraid i can't help much in here as i don't know anything about legals. But it's been great and hope to c you in the future :). About asking for an attorney, i don't think i'll need it as all the materials are going to be self-made.

See you soon, and May the force be with you!! Thanks.

quincy

Original fancy names are generally much better, anyway, questioner20. It will make your site stand out from all others.

I am certainly hoping the Force is with me. May it be with you, too. Good luck. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">