• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Video game copies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA

i've been searching the web on this, and i get different opinions on this matter. is it legal or illegal to create copies of purchased games. are there limits to the amount of copies if it is legal. are the rules different for pc and console games

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
honestly, i'm not. i'm apart of the xbox 360 forum, and this topic came up as a thread, but unfortunately, the thread is full of alot of speculation
You would need to follow the terms of the licensing agreement.

so the owners of the media, can say whether or not making copies of the purchased item is allowed, even when its for the preservation of your investment?

Last edited:

Zigner

so the owners of the media, can say whether or not making copies of the purchased item is allowed?
Nope, the owners of the intellectual property get to make that call, except for specific circumstances.

This thread is about a hypothetical question. We don't generally "do" hypotheticals. Furthermore, are you really going to go back to that forum and say "You guys are all wrong - this other forum says xyz"? ;)

oh heck no. i havent touched that thread at all, but its just something that caused me to want to do some research on the matter. i would never site another forum as my source for something like this. i would really need something more reputable.

cyjeff

Here is the thing...

If you make a copy for sale without paying the original vendor, it is software piracy.

Trust me... you will be sued into the ground. Even if you won, the opposing counsel would force you into bankruptcy just to defend yourself.

You would win... and live in a cardboard box.

Stealing is still stealing.

Zigner

Here is the thing...

If you make a copy for sale without paying the original vendor, it is software piracy.

Trust me... you will be sued into the ground. Even if you won, the opposing counsel would force you into bankruptcy just to defend yourself.

You would win... and live in a cardboard box.

Stealing is still stealing.
Actually, it's much more complicated than that. Just paying the vendor doesn't mean you get to make copies ;)

divgradcurl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA

i've been searching the web on this, and i get different opinions on this matter. is it legal or illegal to create copies of purchased games. are there limits to the amount of copies if it is legal. are the rules different for pc and console games
The answer is yes, you can make a backup copy of software that you own. See 17 U.S.C. 117.

Of course, you cannot transfer these backup copies to another (unless you are transferring them along with the original, and retain no copies for yourself). Also, if making the backup copy would require you to crack encryption or otherwise bypass any copy protections on the media, that would make it illegal to make the backup copy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">