• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Video Game Music

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

masterclick

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

Games come with the music encoded in different formats for the video game to read. I was wondering if it is legal to convert the music from a game file from one format to another and then import to itunes. For example, for one of the games I own all of the music has the file format .ogg. I would like to add this music as a .mp3 to my itunes collection via a audio converter. Is this ok?

FlyingRon

Technically, no it's illegal, however for your own personal use, I doubt anybody is going to get any more worked up than if you started ripping CDs as well.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

Games come with the music encoded in different formats for the video game to read. I was wondering if it is legal to convert the music from a game file from one format to another and then import to itunes. For example, for one of the games I own all of the music has the file format .ogg. I would like to add this music as a .mp3 to my itunes collection via a audio converter. Is this ok?
You want to separate the music from the game and add the music to your iTunes?

A copyright holder has the exclusive right to reproduce their work, prepare adaptations of their work (make a derivative), and distribute their work. Copying and transferring and making a derivative of a copyrighted work can form the basis of an infringement lawsuit. Distributing the music could get you sued.

Personal uses, as FlyingRon notes, are less likely to attract a lawsuit because the infringement is less likely to be discovered.

Last edited:

justalayman

You want to separate the music from the game and add the music to your iTunes?

A copyright holder has the exclusive right to reproduce their work, prepare adaptations of their work (make a derivative), and distribute their work. Copying and transferring and making a derivative of a copyrighted work can form the basis of an infringement lawsuit. Distributing the music could get you sued.

Personal uses, as FlyingRon notes, are less likely to attract a lawsuit because the infringement is less likely to be discovered.
I thought you could reproduce any music you purchased as long it remained "yours". Does the fact it is attached to the game make it different somehow?

quincy

I thought you could reproduce any music you purchased as long it remained "yours". Does the fact it is attached to the game make it different somehow?
Taking the music from the video game would be making a derivative, and making derivatives is an exclusive right of the copyright holder.

If you legally purchase a CD and the CD expressly permits you to make a copy for your personal use (an MP3 copy), then you can do that. The copyright holder has given you permission. Otherwise, to copy music, and especially to share this music with others, would be infringement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">