• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vinyl to CD?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

soccer00kid

What is the name of your state? Missouri

A friend of mine and me were thinking about starting a business together, but before we do we wanted to check on something. Basically the idea of the business is that people would send us their old vinyl records, we would put the records onto an audio CD, send the CD and the record back to the customer and charge them for the service. Would this be legal to do?

S

soccer00kid

Well, true, but I think somewhere in the copyright laws they have exceptions to the rule. I know that if I have a vinyl record and I put it on a CD myself that is perfectly legal if I keep it for myself and don't give that copy away.

If there were no exceptions to the rule at all, the "record" button on a single deck VCR would be all but illegal, same with a dual cassette player and Roxio would be in trouble too for providing software to copy vinyl records to CD, and so would music match for providing software for copying MP3s from your music CD, and all those commercials on the TV for personal CD Burners to make "mixed CDs" would be promoting copyright infringement.

That's why I'm wondering if it would be illegal or not. I know the copying part isn't illegal, the only thing that worries me is the making money from doing it. That's what I want to know about.

H

hexeliebe

This falls within a gray area of the copyright laws. As the owner of the original vinyl recording, you are allowed to make a backup copy of the original. However, if you make these backup copies for others, the owner of the copyright could ask for a 'copy fee' from you for performing the service.

It's best to ask a copyright attorney in your state for an opinion. But on the face of it, since you are performing only a service to the original owner of the vinyl, it should't cause a problem.

There is another point however. If these 'customers' ship the vinyl recordings to you then it falls within interstate commerce regulations and that's another question altogether.

S

soccer00kid

Thanks, I think I'll ask an attorney in my area once they rebuild their offices here. (if they ever do again)

B

badtenant

Technically its illegal, since you dont own the record.

That would be the key, if you KEPT the record, and only sent back the cd, it just might slide under the radar.

H

hexeliebe

Wrong again dumbass. The original owner of the vinyl recording is the one who is required to have ownership for a backup copy.

Poster, please check with a patent attorney or write ASCAP and BMI for the song title. and if you question why I answered the way I did, check out the other response this idiot has given.

Then make up your own mind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">