• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violation of the trademark rights of 3M Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GreenNovember

Hi,

my clients are the owners of the web-service, which is essentially an advertising platform for Facebook. This web-service is called XXXX.COM. A few days ago they received a letter from a law firm which (allegedly!) represents 3M Company in trademark matters. They claim that my clients have violated the copyrights of 3M Company due the fact that the name of their site/service is very similar to the name of a product of XXXXX notes. They also propose to give them a XXXX.com domain, in this case they will not have the claims.

This is legitimate in general? It's more looks like a sophisticated fraud to take away their domain and/or business. What can we do in this situation? I look forward to any suggestions and comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just Blue

Hi,

my clients are the owners of the web-service, which is essentially an advertising platform for Facebook. This web-service is called XXXX.COM. A few days ago they received a letter from a law firm which (allegedly!) represents 3M Company in trademark matters. They claim that my clients have violated the copyrights of 3M Company due the fact that the name of their site/service is very similar to the name of a product of XXXXX" notes. They also propose to give them a XXXX.com domain, in this case they will not have the claims.

This is legitimate in general? It's more looks like a sophisticated fraud to take away their domain and/or business. What can we do in this situation? I look forward to any suggestions and comments.
U.S. Law. Please post the name of your State. Thanks!!
Blue

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

Hi,

my clients are the owners of the web-service, which is essentially an advertising platform for Facebook. This web-service is called XXX.com. A few days ago they received a letter from a law firm which (allegedly!) represents a Company in trademark matters. They claim that my clients have violated the copyrights of this Company due the fact that the name of their site/service is very similar to the name of a product of the Company - "XXX" notes. They also propose to give them a XXX-it-quickly.com domain, in this case they will not have the claims.

I think your clients would be upset if they saw you posting their legal concerns on a public forum. I have removed all identifying information from the quoted post above and have reported your post to eliminate the real names from your original post.

If the letter from the law firm says your clients violated the copyrights of the Company, the letter is probably not legitimate. What would have been violated is the Company's trademark, if anything.

The Company has offices in Europe and could potentially pursue a legal action in your client's home country, if there is a legal action to pursue.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">